With the budget firmly in place and the financial plan running pretty much on auto-pilot, I am shifting gears to a series on the first tenet of this blog: imagining the life one wants to live. There is nothing so personal. No one can create this for you and no two people have exactly the same vision. It is the result of a lifetime of self-exploration and discovery. That said, there are steps and tools that have aided myself and many others to visualize a self-directed path through life.
I like to begin this process by creating a Life Manifestation Board. This is similar in process to the money manifestation board. Creating this physical representation of what matters most to you in life, makes life change easier and decision-making much clearer:
- Start with a pen, paper, scissors and any flat surface (poster board or wrapping paper will work fine). *( If you would like to start the process now and don’t have the supplies on hand, simply create these categories on your phone, computer or a piece of paper. You can always recreate the physical board at a later time.)
- Cut approximately 30 cards large enough to write a word or two
- Write 2-5 “Core” values each on a separate card. These are the essential beliefs/needs you have in life. For example, these might be health, spirituality, passion, love, beauty, etc.
- Then list the Manifestations of the Core, the ways the Core are expressed or shown in life. Examples include family, exploring, creating, children, work.
- Then list the Actions that carry out the Core and Manifestations in your life. Examples include, helping others, eating healthfully, exercise, gardening, etc.
- Tape or glue the cards onto the board. Keep the Core at the top, Manifestations in the middle and Actions at the bottom.
- Spend time looking at what you have created. Is there anything missing? Are there things in your life now that occupy a lot of your time and energy but to not fulfill your imagined life? What can you cut out of your life today? What can you add?
- Place the board either in view or somewhere you can easily access when in need of focusing on your personal map for how you want to live your life.
- Refresh your Life Manifestation Board over time. You will learn and grow and this map of your path should change with you.